Confession of a Book Junkie

Reviews by a certified Honest Book Junkie


(BUY IT HERE)
Format:
Kindle Edition

Paperback:
364 pages
Publisher:
Cheri Schmidt; 1.3 edition (April 7, 2011)

Sold by:
Amazon Digital Services

Language:
English

Reading Level: Young adult

A huge fan of Jane Austen, Danielle hopes to find her own Mr. Darcy when she leaves Colorado to attend art school in London. Of course she knows it’s silly to wish for that, naive even. But she’s met enough males who lacked respect for women, a growing trend it seemed. And at nineteen...well.... However, on only her second night there she gets lost and is threatened by a stalker who proves to be immune to her martial arts training. Before she is completely overpowered, she is then saved by Ethan Deveroux. While Danielle does find the romance she seeks in Ethan, he’s no Mr. Darcy. Her hero is held by a spell which fractures their chance at a happy ending. During the day Ethan is closer to mortal than immortal and can date her like any other man. Yet, as the sun sets, the powerful magic of an ancient curse returns and the evil of that spell is revealed. When that magic begins, Danielle's fairytale romance ends because Ethan Deveroux is a vampire.

One of the newest trends that I've come across most recently since the release of many different ebook readers is the self published author. While this is a good thing as more works are going out that are worth the read, it does involve some that aren't. Luckily this book isn't like that. I stumbled upon this Kindle version while skimming through the $0.99 ebooks that are offered for the Kindle. Being a Jane Austen fan, I decided on this one as I felt I may be able to identify in some way with the heroine.

While I was skeptical, this book proved that I shouldn't be. It wasn't overly angst filled, or self pitying as some of the newest vampire stories are. More it's a simply a quaint love story and vampires happen to be a part of it. Danielle is an admitted girly girl, but truly has a back bone of steel. While things happen around her, even at the beginning, she doesn't run away screaming but rather tries to fight back as she's a black belt in karate. Although the reason is soon revealed in the book, putting her into more danger, she doesn't turn into the simpering, whiny heroine but rather has come to terms with what is. I thoroughly enjoyed Ethan's old world views and tendencies as well as the humor added by the side characters. There are many memorable moments, the ball, a kidnapping and the cooking (you'll understand if you read it). The take on the vampire lore is different as well, which I enjoy. Throw in some stalking villains and a prophecy and you've got a good book. That's what this is. It's not action packed nor does it lag. The hero and heroine are just enough without being over the top.

The only complaint I had was that even though Danielle really went to England for school, she never seems to experience anything but a few things here and there. I wanted her cousin to be a bit more developed, as well as her newly made friends Max, Nadia, Will, Sophia, and Beon. Although it doesn't take away from the story, a part of me wishes that these characters would get their own story. But that aside, the story is well paced and well written.This book is well worth the read and the price can't be beat.

RATING: ☆☆☆☆

3 comments:

Thank you for this review! I’m truly grateful you took the time to post it. By the way: Max, Nadia, Beon and Sophia WILL get their own stories in novellas I have planned... All my best, Cheri

You're very welcome. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and this review will also be up on Myvampfiction.com later this month. I'm so happy to hear that there will be a novellas, I simply fell in love with all your side characters (I finished the second book yesterday and will be reviewing it as well). I'm hoping for maybe a third? lol
Best Wishes,
OnyxHikari

Wow, I'm totally blushing now. It means a lot me that you like my books. I'm writing the third right now! LOL I hope to have it out sometime in August.

Post a Comment

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre
Sometimes Never (Click Image to got to Amazon)

Recently Devoured

***Click for full book list***

Onyxhikari's bookshelf: read

Lord of Rage
Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
Midnight Rising
Midnight Awakening
Kiss of Crimson
Kiss of Midnight
The White Knight
The Pocket Watch
Dead Girl Walking
Shattered
Abandon
Promise
Infinity
The Darkest Surrender
Fractured
Fateful
Branded
Demon Kissed
Eternal Rider
Passion


Onyxhikari's favorite books »
}

My So Called Asian Life

My So Called Asian Life
Click for my Personal Blog

Followers