Confession of a Book Junkie

Reviews by a certified Honest Book Junkie


“The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend America, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand. Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the charming college co-ed. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his charms, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’ apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.”
Purchase it HERE
Pre-Order Walking Disaster HERE
Rating: 4 1/2 bookmarks
Genre: YA Romance (I would say 17+)


While this story could be classified as a classic good girl meets bad boy, in a sense it is and it isn’t. Set in a college setting where is a sort of unofficial (illegal) UFC setup where the two main characters cross paths. The college aspect plays a small role in the story line, but not a huge one as it revolves around the H/h more and their relationship. (I will say the book is in first person, but there’s a book coming out in Maddox’s POV. This also seems to be a new trend as I will list another series where the books are written from both characters POV in the first person. I have to say that since reading both POVs I can’t wait for this one. It makes it infinitely more interesting see on the other side of the fence. You can read the first chapter on Ms. McGuire’s Facebook. I recommend it as it already shows promise! The book is called Walking Disaster and is due out April 2013 but available for pre-order.) 

There’s more to Abby, aka Pigeon, than first meets the eye. Although she presents the epitome of Miss Snobby Prim and Proper, there’s a reason for it there and about half way through the book you find out why. Enter Travis Maddox. He’s the local bad boy. Travis, or Maddox as he goes by, is the stereotypical bad boy who sleeps with anything female, has two legs and walks. The two find a mutual attraction, but in this scenario the guy is more invested than the girl. Deciding that friendship is better than nothing, he is ‘friend zoned’ at the beginning, but after some time the relationship evolves into something more. 

Now I never like giving to much away, but I will say this book is definitely worth the read. As I said before this could be the typical good girl meets bad boy and then he’s reformed to happily ever after, but that’s not necessarily the formula in this book. While the boy in the book does, in a sense, need reforming, he does it all on his own (mostly) and the girl in this instance does as well. Not everything is all roses of course; there are issues that stem from both the relationship and people’s opinions, as well as decisions that are made by both characters.

The story doesn’t bog, but rather draws you in an you become invested in what will happen next. In a sense I sided with Maddox a bit more than Abby as he made more sense and at times Abby was a bit too closed off to really state what she was thinking. No man is a psychic, and more times than not I found myself thinking ‘just say it’! Also toward the end during the major issue that transpired between the two, I found while the lack of communication and insecurity was a tangible thing, it almost became frustrating as it lasted for quite a bit of the story. I’m a firm believer in communication, and I think that if she would have just voiced her fears Maddox would have come around. It was almost as if his personality completely changed in a short amount of time, star struck or no. But seeing how I was invested in the characters, rooting, cheering and yelling at them, proved to me that the book hit the spot in me that made it a very good read. It passed this test and several times I found myself sighing as I remembered similar scenarios that occurred in the book with real life. 

 Another minor issue I had was the fighting in the cafeteria. Not the violence of it, because hey, boys fight, but rather that it was a college and there were NO repercussions. No authority figures (even the ones who witnessed it) said or did anything to discipline those involved. You would a least expect something like stopped by a professor, or called to the dean’s office or something to address that guys were getting their butts handed to them on school grounds, but nope, nothing.
Even with these minor complaints, I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I have seen where reviews have stated that violence is never ok, I agree with this statement, I think that the one instance they are speaking about in the cafeteria was more or less just a scene to show that Abby accepted Maddox bad tendencies and all. There is a part of her that also understands this side of his world, but that’s something that must be read in the book not to give too much away.

All in all it's a good read. I own it in both paper and ebook format. Although there a few issues, I thoroughly enjoyed it and can understand why there's a movie deal in the works.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre
Sometimes Never (Click Image to got to Amazon)

Recently Devoured

***Click for full book list***

Onyxhikari's bookshelf: read

Lord of Rage
Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
Midnight Rising
Midnight Awakening
Kiss of Crimson
Kiss of Midnight
The White Knight
The Pocket Watch
Dead Girl Walking
Shattered
Abandon
Promise
Infinity
The Darkest Surrender
Fractured
Fateful
Branded
Demon Kissed
Eternal Rider
Passion


Onyxhikari's favorite books »
}

My So Called Asian Life

My So Called Asian Life
Click for my Personal Blog

Followers