Confession of a Book Junkie

Reviews by a certified Honest Book Junkie


Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher:
Harlequin Teen
Reading Level: Young Adult
Language: English
Book #4 Iron Fey Series

My name—my True Name—is Ashallayn’ darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining son of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. And I am dead to her. My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl…

To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing any gentler feelings the Winter prince might have had. Or so he thought.

Then Meghan Chase—a half human, half fey slip of a girl—smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer fey can survive.

Read Ash's letter to Meghan before the quest.
(Exclusive content from
the Iron Fey Website)
It's heartbreaking, but so full of love. Read it HERE.


So what can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? That I ordered it on my Kindle just so I could have it at midnight and bought a hard copy at the store? Why yes I did. I love the series that much that I own both forms. Oh and I should mention that I'm team Ash through and through.

Let me just say that this is the last book in the Iron Fey series and although it's sad to see the story end, what a satisfying ending it was. I should tell you that the books I read usually read are always series based. Rarely do I read a stand alone book with no series. I love the continuing saga that happens in a series. With that being said, let me get back to the subject at hand.

Ash has made a promise to Meghan at the end of the last book. "I will always be your knight, Meghan Chase," he whispered in a strained voice, as if every moment he remained was painful to him. "And I swear, if there is a way for us to be together, I will find it. No matter how long it takes. If I have to chase your soul to the ends of eternity, I won't stop until I find you, I promise." (Iron Queen- Julie Kagawa) If you're like me, you swooned at his devotion. Going forward from there the story picks up after a short story "Summer's Crossing" (FREE on Kindle) with Ash having Robin Goodfellow aka Puck in tow to fulfill his promise. The story is told from Ash's point of view. (On a personal note I liked that the story didn't jump back and forth from perspectives of the characters as many first person books tend to do. It stays true to the original teller, regardless of what is going on. There is a slight change in the perspective towards the end, but in this instance it enhance the story and was in no way frustrating.)

After being told the proper path, Ash receives a shock that will have readers reeling from the twist. In some instances you may feel sorry for Ash as he has to make choices of the heart that pulls him into the past and strains the present. Ash must fulfill his promise or continue on forever as his promise to Meghan could cause him to diminish.

As the journey goes on, there are several revelations as well as a few wake up calls from Puck. Ash's journey isn't always smooth. He does self-doubts, feels hopeless and wonders what it will be like if he just stopped and didn't fulfill his promise. There a great scene in the story that covers that possibility, showing that consequences for actions always come. At the time of the decision we may not see the consequences in the long term and that may be the problem, but everything has a ripple effect. The scene is both heartbreaking and enlightening at the same time. Ash's journey is never an easy one, whether it's an internal struggle or a physical fight.

There are moments when you see Ash's longing for Meghan. But this is hard to talk about without giving everything away. You can probably guess that Ash will have to endure some kind of trial to become what he wants/needs to be and this is true. *slight spoiler* He does have to endure the trials of being human. What will it feel like to be not faster? Stronger? Aging? To have emotions? These are questions that only Ash can answer. He does have a wonderful 'counselor' who talks him though his fears and doubts, enabling him to see things in a different light. No it's not Grimalkin, you'll have to read it to see.

All in all I loved this book and completed it in a day. I was worried that I would be disappointed in the ending, but I wasn't. The story itself is full of action, adventure, love and courage. I loved the interactions of the characters, as well as all the action that takes place. This book was a wonderful ending to a wonderful, unique take on fairies. While I said in the beginning that fairies weren't on my radar when it came to reading YA Paranormal/Fantasy fiction, this series changed my mind.

Pick up a copy. Start the series. READ THIS BOOK. You'll be so happy that you did. Again Julie Kagawa doesn't disappoint, this book is LOVE.

RATING: ☆☆☆☆

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre

Currently Devouring - Sometimes Never by Cheryl McIntyre
Sometimes Never (Click Image to got to Amazon)

Recently Devoured

***Click for full book list***

Onyxhikari's bookshelf: read

Lord of Rage
Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
Midnight Rising
Midnight Awakening
Kiss of Crimson
Kiss of Midnight
The White Knight
The Pocket Watch
Dead Girl Walking
Shattered
Abandon
Promise
Infinity
The Darkest Surrender
Fractured
Fateful
Branded
Demon Kissed
Eternal Rider
Passion


Onyxhikari's favorite books »
}

My So Called Asian Life

My So Called Asian Life
Click for my Personal Blog

Followers